Saturday, June 30, 2018

REMEMBERING JAMAICAN SOCK WARS

Crouching behind the sofa, I was ready with my arsenal of socks piled in front of me. Suddenly, I leaped up, a rolled pair of socks in my hand, and hurled it towards my 12-year old son, Jarrod, yelling in my best Jamaican accent, "I'll get you, mon!" But I was too slow—a sock ball pelted my cheek, and Jarrod laughed, "No mon, Mom, I got you!"


Like the Jamaican bobsledders, we were warm weather residents doing our own version of a winter sport. Ours was a Florida style snowball fight.

Crawling behind furniture and jumping up like giant whack-a-moles we hurled socks furiously at each other, pausing only to catch our breath and collect our spent ammo for the next round. I always managed to come up on the losing end, but I felt like a winning parent when we'd both end up on the floor laughing. A silly mom and an ADHD son make a wonderful match.

 When our family dealt with separation and addiction, it was hard for our youngest, Jarrod. We released our tension with Jamaican sock wars. I think it started one day when we had watched Cool Runnings and I was doing laundry. And it became a thing, just for my son and me.

I miss you, Jarrod.

It was three years ago on the fourth of July when you had your accident.

While everyone else is watching fireworks this week I'll be avoiding them. They remind me of that night I sat by your bedside. I could see the fireworks from your hospital room. While others celebrated we watched a machine breathe for you. You never woke up.


You always made fireworks in my heart, Jarrod. You were full of action, and energy, and colorful comments. I'm so glad that I got to be your mom. And I'm happy that you are with your brother, catching up on the years you lost.

 I can only wonder about the color and the beauty you see before you in heaven.



While everyone else is watching fireworks I'll smile and cry, and I'll remember our Jamaican sock wars. And I'll think about heaven, where every day is the fourth of July.

 10 And ahe carried me away in the Spirit to ba great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 chaving the glory of God, dits radiance elike a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12    Rev: 21:10-12








No comments:

Post a Comment